The ESSD board
The ESSD has been operating since 1990, and organising annual conferences ever since. For most of its history an informal ESSD Board has supported and guided the organisation of the annual conferences. In recent years, some board members also sat on the ESSD Editorial Board to organise and support the dissemination and promotion of findings presented at ESSD conferences through publications.
It was agreed at a members’ meeting at the 2015 conference that it was time to place some of the aspects of the organisation and running of the ESSD onto a more formal footing, especially elections to the ESSD Board and membership. An interim board to act as a working group to progress these changes was set up in November 2015 and prepared the ESSD Societal Code. This board reported back to members at the 2016 conference in Frankfurt, and the members present voted to approve the code and proposed changes in principle.
The interim board updated the ESSD membership list and prepared for elections of members to the ESSD Board.
In september 2017 a total of 61% of the membership voted for 7 out of 9 candidates for the board. The new board then chose their officers
For further details, see the ESSD Societal Code.
ESSD Board members
ESSD Board dutiess
The main duties of the ESSD board are::
The Pompidou Group
The ESSD gratefully thanks the Pompidou Group (PG) of the Council of Europe for supporting the ESSD from 2007-2018 by:
- A payment towards the cost of editing and publishing the annual book.
- Funding some travel and accommodation costs for ESSD publication meetings.
- Informing the PG network of experts of the work done by ESSD by distribution of the annual publication.
- Occasionally providing funding for the administration of the annual conference.
- Past funding of two summer schools on qualitative research on drugs, each for 12 European PhD students.